Sunday, February 19, 2012

We missed our transfer, because we had to use the bathroom!

So, the candle festival in Aizu was amazing. We all went on a bus together~ Mori-san, Kanda-san, Maki-san, Lucy, Gayner, David, Angel and I. It's only about an hour away from BH. So, the trip was not bad. And the castle was amazing. I borrowed some photos from Angel and it's all gorgeous.
Kanda-san has a friend who works at the castle, so we were able to get in for free. It's been turned into a museum on the inside and it was neat! There was a kimono we could try on, too! It was heavy! And the colours were so vibrant and nice. 
They had arranged candles outside in the shape of daruma dolls. We climbed to the top of the castle and took a few photos.
And then outside there was a display setup of tin candle things. Students from the local high school designed and made them. They were really pretty!
Earlier in the day we had gone out with our friend Reika-san. She's such a sweetheart. She's an English teacher in Shirakawa and we get together for lunch every once in a while. We went out to Zen and the lunch was gorgeous! It was so much food, though! I couldn't finish. I got the tempura bowl. And yummmmm~ They gave us free sakura ice cream, too. And it was yummy. Lightly cherry flavoured and sweet! And they gave us free homemade melon soda, too. It was so sweet!
So, I went to Sendai with Gayner after Aizu. We took the local train and it was a looong trip! We were supposed to get to Sendai at like 4:30, but we had horrible luck! And we didn't get there until like 6:30. Lol. It was horrible. At first, we had to change trains in Koriyama. On the way there it got really windy. The train stopped for about 10 minutes and then traveled at a snails pace for the rest of the way. So, we missed our first transfer. And then because we missed our first transfer we missed our second! It was so bad!

So, when we finally got to Sendai, we had another disaster. We couldn't find our hotel. There's 4 Toyoko Inns in Sendai. And we went to 3 in search for our hotel. The third one was correct, but it was such a pain to find it! But, we managed. Our room was pretty nice. And the Toyoko Inn is always a good deal.
So, our main goal of going to Sendai was the POKEMON CENTER! It was amazing. So much Pokemon stuff! I wish I had more money to spend. As it was, I indulged in a box of chocolate Pikachus, I bought a cell phone charm set for Angel and I (Pikachu tails! They're so soooft!) and a hand cloth for David. The print on it is limited to the Tohoku region. Every region has a different print.
So, after our shopping and exploring we had a quiet night. We were both really tired from the travel and just fell right to sleep. In the morning after checking out we grabbed breakfast. The Toyoko Inn does a free breakfast, so I helped myself to a cafe au lait and curry! Yummmmmm!
We had a little bit of time left before we had to catch our train back, so we went back to the Pokemon Center so Gayner could pick up something for a friend. And then I wanted to take a few pictures. I have my traditional Arashi billboard photo, of course.
And then we grabbed a drink from the Bux. And it was GLORIOUS. I haven't had a Caramel Macchiatto in sooo long! And they made it perfectly. I just wish I asked for nonfat. Oh well. It was amazing!
After all that we hopped on our train and set back for Shin-Shirakawa. You'd think with only 1 transfer we'd be ok, right? WRONG. We missed our transfer, because we had to use the bathroom! So, we were stuck for another hour. We grabbed lunch from Le Vie de France which is a cute bakery chain. I got a ham and cheese grilled sammich, melon pan and another sandwich for later.
We made it back in one piece. And then it was off to Utsunomiya avec David! That's right. I got back from Sendai and went straight to Utsunomiya. Lol. We took Shinkansen this time, so it was fast and no transfers. We had a lovely time. Ate curry and gyoza for dinner from a vending machine restaurant. You buy your food tickets outside from the machine, then give them to the waiter. Your food comes out and its already paid for!
We just vegged and did some shopping. It was nice for us to just get away. And we came back on the 14th, so there was Valentine's chocolate waiting for me when we got home! Angel gave me some really pretty chocolate and Lucy made me an awesome card and some shortbread cookies.
I made chocolate for David. And he got all excited. In Japan, it's customary for girls to give chocolate to their lovers or crushes on Valentines day. Boy's don't give anything until the 14th of March (White Day). But, he was all excited with the chocolate I have him. Angel and I made it a few days prior while watching Indian Jones and the Last Crusade.
Wow. This was a huge entry. Ahahaha. I promise not to wait so long until my next post!

1 comment:

  1. great blog post...the candle festival looked amazing! I especially liked the one tin holder that had different card suits on it...sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete